According to search engine experts, the first 3 links on the first page of Google accumulate an estimated 85% of clicks from users. The remaining 15% are shared among all the other remaining links on the top page of Google. So if you’re not positioned in the top 3 of the first page, there’s a big possibility that your link will be left out.

Several factors can help you get a higher ranking in Google. But learning the fundamentals of Google ranking can dwindle this number down to 2 factors that can most impact your ranking. Namely, on-page optimization and off-site references like backlinks.

On-page optimization pertains to any page on your site and not just the home page itself. Depending on the keywords or phrase, any page on your site can actually rank higher than your home page. The reason for this is that the home page has a tendency to have a more general coverage. Articles that specifically discuss a particular subject will make your page rank higher than the home page for keywords or phrases that can be found in the article and not within the home page.

How to use Keywords to Improve Search Engine Rankings

• In a H1 heading
• Included in the title of the page
• Entered into the body of the page keeping them present at least in the first and last paragraphs
• In the URL
• Inserted into the meta keywords and description
• Bring attention to keywords in your web pages by using heading tags (H1, H2, H3, H4 and so on) and by making them bold, italic or underlined.

It’s important to use your keyword or phrase in the “alt” property for the images of your articles. Be careful in overloading your article with your keywords or else, you will be penalized by Google.

Another aspect that webhosts often over look is the power of internal linking, this is where you link to other pages on your website from relevant text in blog posts. This just helps paint a clearer picture for search engines about what the page on your website is really about. For example if I was to make a mention about online advertising in this article, I would make sure to link it to the appropriate page on my website that talks about it.

As for Backlinks – these are a form of off-page optimization, search engines are informed of how other sites think about your page by getting a total count of the number of links pointing towards your website. This indicates if other websites think your page is good enough to be a reference for visitors to their sites. The value of your page will be determined by the number of links made from other sites to the pages of your own website.

Keep in mind that the value of backlinks differs from one another. Top-ranked authority sites can help improve your ranking more than a backlink from small-time blog sites.

Google also considers the “anchor text”. Anchor text is the text used in the link that people click to be taken to another webpage. A lot of people fall into the trap of using the anchor text ‘click here’ when it should really be ‘relevant keyword’. You need to keep a connection between these words and your keyword search phrase that you want to rank for. Use the exact search phrase in some of your links but not in all your links, as this can raise red flags with search engine robots.

If you want to find out more, contact us or here is another great article we have on how to increase your sites Google page rank through SEO.